Mission

Mission

Children need to feel secure. When there are natural disasters or other traumatic events that occur in a child's life, it helps him to have an anchor to hold on to. This blog is an effort to collect new, handmade, child-sized and baby-sized charity quilts to distribute to displaced or traumatized children of Tuscaloosa County and Jefferson County, Alabama.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

At a Loss for Words





Ask anyone who knows me (especially my husband!), and they will tell you that it is a rare occasion that I am at a loss for words. I had an appointment in Tuscaloosa today and the route I took, took me right through the path of damage from the tornado. I was very apprehensive as I approached the intersection of 15th St and McFarland Blvd in Tuscaloosa. I stopped at the intersection, one I had passed through literally hundreds of times before, and I had no words of my own. All I could say (in the words of Royal Marshall) was, "Just, damn!"

I continued on my way. What I noticed most as I moved through the area was how many trucks, crews and volunteers were still working tirelessly towards cleaning up and restoring what little they could back to normal. I doubt that it will ever be possible for things to be normal again.
We will have towork very hard to establish a new normal for all of us who live here, love here and call here home. I look forward to being a part of that new normal.

1 comment: